person quotes > 48
- William Shakespeare: Thou hast most traitorously corrupted the youth of the realm in
erecting a grammar school: and whereas, before, our forefathers
had no other books but the score and the tally, thou hast caused
printing to be used, and, contrary to the king, his crown and
dignity, thou hast built a paper mill.
- Barbara J. Alexander: How can we hope to remain economically competitive in a world in which… 90% of Dutch high-school students take advanced math courses and 100% of teachers in Germany have double majors, while the best we can say about our pocket of excellence is that 75% of students have learned to critique tactfully?
- Kahlil Gibran: I am one of those who believe that spiritual progress is a rule of human life, but the approach to perfection is slow and painful. If a woman elevates herself in one respect and is retarded in another, it is because the rough trail that leads to the mountain peak is not free of ambushes of thieves and lairs of wolves.
- Noam Chomsky: There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy…
- Annie Dillard: I don't know what it is about fecundity that so appalls: I suppose it is the teeming evidence that birth and growth, which we value, are ubiquitous and blind; that life itself is so astonishingly cheap; that nature is as careless as it is bountiful; and that with extravagance goes a crushing waste that will one day include our own cheap lives.